Special Residency Status in the Republic of Armenia
The Law on Legal Status of Foreign Citizens in the Republic of Armenia, enacted in 1994, and the enabling legislation allows foreign citizens to receive a Special Residency Status in the Republic of Armenia. The Special Residency Status is granted by the President of Armenia to the foreign citizens of Armenian ancestry and other distinguished individuals, who have provided significant services to the Armenian nation and/or are engaged in economic and cultural activities in Armenia. The Special Residency Status is granted for a ten-year term, and may be extended upon request.
Those granted Special Residency Status will be issued Special Armenian Passports and will no longer be required to obtain entry visas for traveling to Armenia. While in Armenia, they will enjoy the full protection of the Armenian law, as well as the rights and obligations of Armenian citizens, except for the right to vote and to run for office, enroll in political organizations. They will be exempt from military service in the Armenian National Army. Please note, that Special Passport will not waive visa requirements for other CIS countries. For travel to those and other countries the bearer of Special Passport should use his/her national passport.
The survivors of the Armenian Genocide are granted Special Passports through a facilitated procedure, and the application fee is waived.
The Armenian Government has recently taken steps to improve the business environment in Armenia. In particular, the Armenian Tax Code was overhauled, and the Personal Income Tax, the Profit Tax, and the payroll taxes have been reduced. Together with the commitment of the Armenian authorities to attract and assist foreign investment, the new requirements will help to cultivate a favorable environment for businesses in Armenia. The Armenian-American businessmen are encouraged to take this opportunity to contribute to the economic growth in Armenia, and facilitate closer ties between the Diaspora Armenians and their historic Homelan. Receiving a Special Armenian Passport will greatly assist those who are interested in pursuing business interests in Armenia.
The following documents need to be submitted, by any registered mail:
1. An Application Questionnaire filled out in English only
2. Letter in the name Consul General of the Republic Armenia, requesting the Special Residency Status. The letter must include the following:
a) Information regarding present citizenship.
b) Information regarding past citizenship, if any, including country and reason for loss of citizenship.
c) Country of origin and nationality at birth.
d) Reason for applying for Special Residency Status in Armenia, i.e., business, cultural, charity, etc. Please provide details.
e) Your occupation and place of employment in the U.S. Please be as specific as possible.
f) How many stays have you had in Armenia: when, for how long and under what circumstances. If you were previously granted other type of Residency Status in Armenia (Temporary, Ordinary, Exclusive), please indicate.
g) Information on possible conviction or involvement in a criminal investigation.
3. Clear photocopies of pages of your passport with photograph, validity and personal data.
4. Photocopy of birth certificate.
5. Seven passport size professional color photographs with light background.
6. Money order in the amount of US$460.00 made payable to the Consulate General (or Embassy) of Armenia (fee is non-refundable).
1. Usually the application is processed within 3-4 months. In some cases, requiring additional consideration, the processing time could be extended up to one year.
2. The application may be denied by the Armenian authorities in some cases. The rejected applicants may reapply for the Special Residency Status one year after their initial application was rejected.
3. If applying by mail, please include in your original shipment a prepaid return envelope of any registered mail with a tracking number or a separate money order payable to the Consulate General (or Embassy) of Armenia in the amount of US$25.00, if overnight FedEx�Express service is requested.
4. We regret for not being able to assume any responsibility for documents while in delivery by mail.
5. Please note that requirements and fees may change without prior notice.
6. For more details contact the Consulate.